Re: TrueCrypt License 2.3

On Jan 28, 2008 12:05 AM, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > If we have named Firefux the modified version of Firefox, I doubt the
> > Mozilla foundation would have let that pass.
>
> There's various other reasons for that and it wouldn't have been covered
> by a prohibition on calling it Firefox or something easily confused with
> Firefox.  (How often do people use the other f-word to mean a fox?)

Trade marks protect against use not only of identical marks, but also
of similar marks where there is a risk of confusion. So Firefux would
almost certainly infringe Mozilla's trade mark rights in Firefox.

But I appreciate that in this specific case there was a lot more going
on, with copyright aspects as well.

John

(TINLA)