Re: TrueCrypt License 2.3

Patrick Matthäi <patrick.matthaei@web.de> writes:

> Måns Rullgård schrieb:
>> Patrick Matthäi <patrick.matthaei@web.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wanted to package maybe truecrypt for Debian.
>>> There was an older discussion on l.d.legal for an older version of the
>>> TrueCrypt license, where the most developers said, that it is not
>>> distributeable.
>>>
>>> But as I know TrueCrypt has modified the license, so that more
>>> distributions could ship it.
>>>
>>> Here it is: http://www.truecrypt.org/license.php
>>>
>>> I'm not a lawler, so what do you mean, is this license free or when
>>> not could I distribute it in non-free?
>> At a glance, the bits that might be controversial appear to be a few
>> naming restriction clauses and some advertising clauses.  I don't see
>> anything restricting use or distribution.
>> IANAL
>>
> Thanks,
>
> sounds good :)

Hold on.  I didn't say it was free or anything, only that I didn't see
anything that struck me as obviously non-free.  Some consider renaming
clauses non-free (although I don't), and the plethora of licenses used
for Truecrypt could be conflicting, even if each on its own is free.
Wait for another opinion before drawing any conclusions.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@mansr.com