Re: Licensing of iso-codes

In message <fcbmnm$glj$1@sea.gmane.org>, Olive <olive001@tele2allin.be> writes
Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
Tobias Toedter wrote:
Would it be possible for non-free programs to use that data (XML files
and translations) if iso-codes is licensed under GPL? Or would we need
to use the LGPL for this?
 My first thought is what do you expect the GPL to do for you
with this data set?
 I don't see how the license of a data file can affect the licensing
status of a program that processes the data file.

One can consider that the data file is a library and using the data is linking. I am unsure if this interpretation but I think it would be best to license either under the LGPL or under the GPL with an explicit exception. Even if it appears that this exception is not useful; it would at least have the merit to clarify the situation.

Responding very late, but it sounds to me like this file is a "collection of data". As such, it can't be copyrighted!

I'd agree with Arnoud. The licence on the data file won't affect the program. But there's a good chance that the licence on the data file is invalid ...

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk