Re: Is this translation in the Public Domain?

Mohammad Derakhshani wrote:
> This Urdu translation is made by Ahmed Rida Khan.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Rida_Khan>
>
> Although the author died in 1921, I am not sure if the translation is in
> the Public Domain.

Probably. First, the work was translated in 1910 [1] and India
apparently didn't have a Copyright Act until 1914 [2]. India
also didn't join the Berne Convention until April 1, 1928 [3].
Berne member states then will not recognize any copyright in
the work (art. 3(1) of Berne).

Even if copyright protection was available to the work when
it was created, the copyright would have expired 50 years
after the death of the author.

Arnoud
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanzul_Iman
[2] http://copyright.gov.in/
[3] http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowResults.jsp?lang=en&treaty_id=15

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/