Referring to upstream copyright statement from debian/copyright

I have a closely related question to the one posed in the thread
started at http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/11/msg00214.html

My package has a fairly complicated constellation of copyright holders
and licenses, and upstream has been helpful and provided a
comprehensive statement in their AUTHORS file, which I install into
/usr/share/doc/$package.  Is it acceptable for debian/copyright to say
simply

    This package was debianized by (former maintainers, me).

    The source distribution was downloaded from (URL).
    Upstream authors are reachable at (email address).
    Copyright holders are listed in /usr/share/doc/$package/AUTHORS.gz

    $package, as a whole, is available under the terms of the GNU General
    Public License (version 2, or at your option, any later version).
    [full GPL boilerplate here]

    On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General
    Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'.

    $package includes substantial bodies of code developed by
    others and available under terms more permissive than the GPL.
    See /usr/share/doc/$package/AUTHORS.gz for complete statements of
    authorship, copyrights, and licensing.

or should I be pasting the entire text of AUTHORS into
debian/copyright?  If so, does anyone have a debian/rules fragment to
do that automatically at package build time?

Thanks,
zw