Re: Final text of AGPL v3

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:26:53PM -0800, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> And, of course, web applications are often a large set of scripts...
> dozens upon dozens of individual scripts.  If I write a single new
> script that adds some level of functionality, but in no way changes
> anything else to the AGPL'ed program or uses any existing
> functionality, am I required to share my change?

I'd say not, because we're talking about scripts rather than something
that gets compiled into a new executable and thus interacts with
GPLed/AGPLed code at a deep level. So it is no different from any
other script written using a GPLed language but itself released under
a different licence.

> What if something like Zope were AGPLed...  would all applications
> written ontop of Zope also be AGPLed?

Again, if the actual software comprising Zope itself were unmodified,
and the applications simply sat on top of it, I'd say no. And even if
changes were made to some of the scripts comprising Zope, then I'd say
the requirements of clause 13 would apply only to those changes.

> The ultimate issue with the AGPL is that it separates authorship from
> distribution.  Under the GPL what I am *required* to distribute as
> the original author is VERY clear... I only have to distribute what I
> distribute.  Nothing more and nothing less.  But, with the AGPL my
> distribution requirements are linked to some other event, and event
> which is very difficult to track down since it occurs in a virtual
> world without easily defined and discrete events.
>
> I don't know about DFSGness at this point either...  but I can say
> that I think the license is a pretty awful idea designed to target a
> very specific segment of software developers and sure seems like a
> use restriction on first glance.

As I've said before, I have some hesitations about the AGPL and its
possible consequences. However, we shouldn't underestimate the effects
of community pressure to help counteract the potential problems: if
the AGPL is (ab)used in an inappropriate way by a particular project
then the developers would come under community pressure to bring about
a change in the licensing terms. There are plenty of examples of
licensing changes in response to that sort of pressure.

John

(TINLA)