Re: Final text of AGPL v3

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:18:10PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> Hi all,
> the final text of the GNU AGPL v3 has been published today by
> the FSF.
> The plain text form can be downloaded from:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.txt

Thanks for the heads-up.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the FSF has given any
guidance on what they regard as "interaction over a network"? This is
an issue that came up in the previous thread.

Indeed, a bit more feedback generally from the FSF on how they dealt
with concerns raised during the feedback process would be helpful.
Again, any relevant links would be welcome. A lot of the concerns
about the AGPL could probably be allayed by some explanatory material
from the FSF.

For now, as regards the "interaction" issue my inclination is to
assume that it is implicit in this that (a) we are talking about some
level of direct input/output interaction from the user's point of
view. i.e. software providing user interface-level interaction, not
software further down the stack, and (b) we are talking about
"interaction for the purposes of exercising the intended functionality
of the program", not 403 errors.

At least, I assume that's what the FSF intends by this. But links to
relevant material supporting this assumption would be useful.

John