Re: Policy on Binary Firmware Fetching in Main (e.g. foo2zjs)

* Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> [2007-11-14 23:54:08 -0500]:

> you missed my email with the logical proof that there is a dependency:
>
>  does getweb function correctly if the external files are unable to be
>  downloaded?  if the answer is no, then the script must be considered to
> depend on those files.  and since those external files contain non-free
> data, then the script must be considered to depend on non-free data.

Packages that are free, but depend on non-free package(s), belong in
contrib. Packages that have optional functionality that requires
non-free package(s), but are free, typically go in main. If you extend
"non-free package(s)" to include non-packaged data retrieved from
elsewhere, I don't see why anything would change.