Re: Policy on Binary Firmware Fetching in Main (e.g. foo2zjs)

Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Stephen Gran wrote:
> > That being said, packages that exist solely to download external
> > non-free content have traditionally been considered contrib material.
> > If this is just a helper script that nothing else in the package uses,
> > it seems perfectly fine to me to keep it in main, but ship the script in
> > examples/ or something.
>
> getweb can be considered a helper script, but it also exists solely to
> download non-free content.  so it falls in to both of your categories.
> the rest of the package does not invoke getweb, but can make use of the
> stuff that is download given that the user has invoked the script himself
> or herself first.

Agreed - but that still means that we can ship a package in main which contains
this script. It doesn't make sense to create two new source tarballs and two
packages from the same upstream source if the contrib package is much smaller
than the "main" part.

Regards, Frank