Re: Policy on Binary Firmware Fetching in Main (e.g. foo2zjs)

You are missing the point: some printers may or may not work, but the
program itself still has the same capabilities and is not influenced by
what getweb does.
that's why it is ok for most of the program to be in main.  its just getweb
that depends on non-free data.
No, it does not.

you missed my email with the logical proof that there is a dependency:

 does getweb function correctly if the external files are unable to be
downloaded? if the answer is no, then the script must be considered to depend on those files. and since those external files contain non-free data, then the script must be considered to depend on non-free data.

you need to show me the flaw in this logic rather than just saying "no,
you're wrong."  prove to me that you're right.

No, this sounds like you are not aware of how this kind of programs has
been evalued by the ftpmasters for about the last 10 years.

just because "its aways been done like this," does not necessarily make
it right.  for the longest time, non-free documentation was fine in
main, but not any more. as circumstances arise, and experience is gained, one must reevaluate how things are done, and adapt. otherwise, progress
will never be made.

regards,
mike