Re: The legality of wodim

John Halton wrote:
> But if they simply fork the project under a new name, and keep the
> insults to, say, a mailing list ;-), then it's hard to see how that
> would constitute an infringement of moral rights. And if that *does*
> constitute an infringement of moral rights then that would seem to
> make moral rights at least as great a threat to software freedom as
> software patents.

Oh no, the mere forking does not violate any moral rights under
any regime I'm aware of. You have to do a lot more than that.
For example, adding bugs but still keeping the label "official
version" could get close. That harms the reputation of the author
since people will think he wrote those bugs.

A tricky case could be a use of the work that the author absolutely
doesn't want to be associated with. What if some right-wing
extremists use your forum software to discuss their racist plans?
Your name could then be associated with those people. I can imagine
some authors not liking that. This could give them a cause of action
under moral rights.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/