Re: DFSG-freeness of any license that fixes the ASP loophole

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 07:11:32PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:05:53 +0000 John Halton wrote:
> > One problem with the HPL is that it is a modification of the GPL,
> > which is prohibited by the GPL itself.
>
> This is not really the case.
> As long as you change the license name (which was done by HPL authors),
> drop the preamble (which was done, as well), and modify the
> instructions-for-use accordingly (which was more or less done by HPL
> authors[1]), you have permission from the FSF to create a derivative
> license from the GNU GPL.
> See http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link. I note though that the same
FAQ goes on to say:

"Although we will not raise legal objections to your making a modified
license in this way, we hope you will think twice and not do it. Such
a modified license is almost certainly incompatible with the GNU GPL,
and that incompatibility blocks useful combinations of modules. *The
mere proliferation of different free software licenses is a burden in
and of itself*."

I think that is a good reason for holding off from seeking other
solutions to the "ASP problem" (assuming we are clear as to whether
there _is_ a problem, which is a different argument) until the AGPL
discussions have finalised.

John