Re: The legality of wodim

Le samedi 10 novembre 2007 à 12:57 +0100, Joerg Schilling a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > There is nothing like that in the GPL. It only forbids misrepresentation
> > of the Author's work.
>
> You seem to missinterpret the GPL.

> If the software is modified by someone else and passed on, we
> want its recipients to know that what they have is not the original, so
> that any problems introduced by others will not reflect on the original
> authors' reputations.

Which makes indeed clear that correctly representing the different
authors' contributions will avoid affecting their reputations.

> A common misconception is to disregard that the GPL does _not_ void the
> Urheberrecht (http://bundesrecht.juris.de/urhg/index.html). Anything that
> is permitten in the GPL is permitten only in a Urheberrecht context.
> Urheberrecht allows the Author to forbid publishing of a work if this is made
> in a way that harms the reputation of the author.

Indeed. And as long as the modifications are correctly attributed to
their respective authors, there is no way they could harm the reputation
of another author. So we're all good and people distributing cdrkit
aren't violating any law.

You seem to believe that your reputation is affected by the very
existence of a fork, which would imply that your work isn't perfect. But
this is a problem with your ego, not with the law.

--
 .''`.