Re: The legality of cdrecord

>I do not know if you are right or not but it is not what matter. Debian
>and other distributor may distribute a forked version for whatever
>reason even for a bad one. I do not believe you will succeed to make

I get the impression that you are not aware of the real problem.

There is no license problem in cdrtools and this has been discussed ad nauseum.
A few outsiders claim there are problems but they constantly fail to prove
their claims. This discussion is not different from others. It did not bring
any prove for a problem. The people who claim that there are problems should
finally admit that there are no known problems and stop the FUD against the
true OSS project "cdrtools".

....there is a problem in wodim.

The GPL and the Urheberrecht both forbid to publish modified versions that
harm the reputation of the Author. The Debian fork is full of extreme bugs
and many people are thus completely unable to use the fork at all.
You should be aware of the possibility that I (as the Author) could disallow
publikshing the fork.

>Debian change their opinion. So would it be so difficult for you to
>change the license in other to satisfy Debian (and other Linux
>distributor)? I think it is the only way you can hope they reconsider
>the inclusion of cdrtool.

This kind of blackmail attempts have been send to me more than once.

Cdrtools uses a license that is widely accepted as true OpenSource and
even the official Debian statement is that the CDDL is obviously free.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)