Re: transitive GPL (exim4, OpenSSL, mySQL and others)

Marc Haber writes ("transitive GPL (exim4, OpenSSL, mySQL and others)"):
> (1)
> Is it ok to change exim's SSL library to OpenSSL in the current setup
> without violating the GPL for some of the library currently in use

You mentioned libpq and mysql.  What other libraries are involved ?
All of the licences must be compatible.

> (2)
> Will it be a violation of the GPL to link exim to a
> GPL-without-OpenSSL-exemption-clause library in the future?

Yes.

> (3)
> Is this violation maybe already happening by virtue of linking
> indirectly to OpenSSL via libpq?

Does libpq pull in OpenSSL ?  What is the licence of libpq ?

I think we could give you a better answer if you provided a full
run-down of the facts: a complete list of all of the libraries and
programs which are used when you compile exim in this way, how they
relate to each other, and what their licenses are.

Ian.