Re: The legality of cdrecord

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:27:56PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> John Halton <johnhalton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > category anyway. The question is whether those build scripts
> > themselves can be distributed under the GPL (as required by the GPL),
> > and the answer (as I understand it) is no, because that would breach
> > the terms of the CDDL.
>
> Please read the GPL:
>
> The GPL does _not_ require the build scripts to be under GPL.
> The GPL only requieres them to be distributed.

The build scripts are considered to be part of the source code (GPL2 §3,
GPL3 §1), and therefore must be under the GPL or a compatible licence;
the CDDL is neither (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses#CDDL).

--
Benjamin A'Lee :: benjamin.alee@subvert.org.uk
Subvert Technologies :: http://subvert.org.uk/