Re: The legality of cdrecord

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:27:56PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> John Halton <johnhalton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > category anyway. The question is whether those build scripts
> > themselves can be distributed under the GPL (as required by the GPL),
> > and the answer (as I understand it) is no, because that would breach
> > the terms of the CDDL.
>
> Please read the GPL:
>
> The GPL does _not_ require the build scripts to be under GPL.
> The GPL only requieres them to be distributed.

I believe your interpretation of the GPL and the interpretation by the
sane world differ wildly...

"""
The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable.
"""

Would suggest that the build scripts need to be distributed under the
same licence as the program, so, that'd be the GPL then.

Please go and read the GPL and stop telling others to. Stop making stuff
up because it suits *your* development model.

Thanks,
--
Brett Parker