Re: GPL 3 and derivatives

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 05:45:17PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Welcome, John (I've not seen you post here before this week). It's
> great to see a qualified legal expert here among all we amateurs.
>
> Questions of interest to me and perhaps others on this list, that you
> can nevertheless choose not to answer if you please: Is your field
> related to copyright law? In which jurisdiction do you practice?

I'm an English lawyer (solicitor) and my field of practice includes IT
and copyright. I'm also a Debian user and hope that subscribing to
this list can help me (a) understand better the interaction between
the technical aspects of free software (in particular the process of
building software from source) and the terms of the various licences,
and (b) hopefully make a small contribution back to the project from
my legal understanding.

Being a lawyer, I feel the need to stick in the "TINLA" disclaimer to
avoid upsetting my employer/liability insurers. :-)

Thanks,

John