Re: Skype license

On Sunday 12 August 2007 22:53, Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> I got a request from a Skype employee who was eager to distribute
> Skype with Debian. I replied that the current license probably is not
> compatible with DFSG and promised to ask debian-legal what has to be
> done with Skype's license to make it distributable.

Was that Skype employee acting in an official capacity? The Distribution Terms
are quite obviously impossible for Debian to fulfil, but if they want Debian
to distribute Skype (in non-free), I presume they will grant the necessary
approvals and exceptions.

But even so, Skype uses a proprietary protocol to gain monopoly power over
internet voice communication, plus they hack around the NAT problem instead
of pushing IPv6 adoption. Skype should not be used by anoone.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)