Re: DomainKeys license(s)

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 18:43, Magnus Holmgren took the opportunity to write:
> On Saturday 17 June 2006 23:02, Joe Smith took the opportunity to write:
> > "Magnus Holmgren" <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> wrote in message
> > 200606172024.20240@proffe.kibibyte.se">news:200606172024.20240@proffe.kib
> >ib yte.se...
> >
> > > What about the statement on http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys?
> > >
> > > "Yahoo!'s DomainKeys Intellectual Property may be licensed under either
> > > of the following terms:
> > > * Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License Agreement
> > > * GNU General Public License version 2.0 (and no other version)."
> >
> > Hmm.. the GPL does not deal directly with the patents, however,
> > That statement presumably means that they grant a patent licence for all
> > programs under the GPL 2.
>
> Confusing. We need a clarification.

I sent a "clarification request" using their feedback form a couple of weeks
ago. Still no reaction (reply or update of their web page). I asked if their
intention is to license their patents as long as all code using them is
available under (at least) GPL 2.0. If so, it should at least be safe (w.r.t.
to copyright and patents) to package libmail-domainkeys-perl and
libmail-dkim-perl.

Can I and my sponsor proceed, assuming that nothing bad will happen? I think
it's a pretty good assumption, but I guess that this kind of legal
uncertainty is unacceptable. Can someone with more influence please try to
get an answer out of Yahoo? Considering all the complaining about how broken
SPF is, I reckon there must be some interest in DKIM.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)