Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca@yahoo.ca>
> As you can see the facts from the web page:
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/Produkte/Bestellen/lm_04_06_dvd.html
> things can be terribly misleading:
>
> 1. You can see "DVD-ausgabe mit Debian Sarge".
> There is *no* "Spezial" or "Unofficial" wording on the cover of the magazine!
>
> 2. You can see the DVD labeled "Debian Sarge". Nothing more on the DVD face.
>
> OK, it's an "extended" ("erweiterten") version of Sarge in the text, but this
> is not clear enough.

The cover is maybe less than perfect, but I would hope that people who want
the official debian sarge release would be educated consumers and know that
they need to look for the 'Official' word on the DVD.

I am unhappy that the distributors of this image seem to have ignored
the instruction from http://www.fr.debian.org/CD/faq/#whatlabel for the
external labels:-
"Note that you are allowed to use the Official designation only on CDs the
image of which has a checksum that matches the one from the jigdo files
of official releases. Any CD that has no matching checksum (e.g. your
own creations) must be clearly labelled as Unofficial [...]"

It's not much help for users to have it only on the DVD, as they can
probably only read that after purchase.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef