Re: Hello and request for sponsor (DomainKeys packages)

On Saturday 17 June 2006 19:41, Joe Smith took the opportunity to write:
> On 6/17/06, Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> >[snip]
> > It is also my understanding that Yahoo's license, unlike Microsoft's
> > SenderID
> > license, is quite OK. Is that correct?
>
> I don't know. I glanced at the licence, and it was not terribly clear, if
> you have not done so already, you should probably ask d-legal to look at
> the licence.
> I am CCing that list.
>
> Ok, 1.1 does not seem to grant the right to sell the code/program.  Section
> 1.2 grants the right to sell "for the sole purpose of implementing a sender
> verification solution in connection with e-mail.". I'm not sure if limiting
> the scope of Sale is allowed by the DFSG or not.
>
> I'm slightly concerned that the "specification" is an Internet-Draft. More
> distubing is that the Licence give a URL for the Draft, but the URL does
> not work.

The current version of the draft is
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-delany-domainkeys-base-04.txt>.
Older versions seem to have been deleted. There are various references to
these older versions around lying around in the code, older license texts
etc.

> Section 3.3 says "You must create Your own product or service names or
> trademarks for Your Licensed Code and You agree not to use the term
> "DomainKeys" in or as part of a name or trademark for Your Licensed Code.".
> This may be a problem, considering the name of the package.
>
> Section 3.5 is a you must obey the laws section.
>
> Section 3.8 is choice of law and venue.

What about the statement on http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys?

"Yahoo!'s DomainKeys Intellectual Property may be licensed under either of the
following terms:
* Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License Agreement
* GNU General Public License version 2.0 (and no other version)."

Also, the links on http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/ to "Other Libraries"
seem to indicate that it's OK to release DomainKeys libraries packages with
DomainKeys in their name.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se