Re: IBM CPL v1

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:57:08 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
> > On the other hand, being able to identify all contributors is vital
> > for reviewing the copyright status of a program, should there be any
> > doubt or copyright infringement claims.

Being able to identify contributors is needed only *if* the copyright
license is unclear or contradictory.
On the other hand, when everything is properly released in a clearly
DFSG-free manner, there's no need to know the real identity of all
contributors, IMHO.

> > Programs with an unclear
> > copyright situation cannot be considered free, IMHO.

I agree, but I re-stress (for clarity) that IMHO anonymous author does
not necessarily mean unclear copyright situation.

> I disagree, at the extreme.  If it's *provably* so unclear that no-one
> can enforce a copyright over it, then it's effectively in the public
> domain and so free.

AFAICT, copyright laws allow an author to release a work in an anonymous
or pseudonymous manner and, at the same time, let the work be
copyrighted.

> However, you are far more likely to hit
> 'lawyerbomb' than 'free' and it's better to try to clarify.

Huh? What do you need to clarify?
As long as the work is clearly released in a DFSG-free manner, I don't
think there's any need to clarify further...

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4