Re: ktorrent and GeoIP license

The licence of the C library software seems fine to me.  A Copyright
line would be good, but I expect it's in there somewhere.

Fathi Boudra <fboudra@free.fr> [...]
> OPEN DATA LICENSE (GeoIP Standard Edition Database)
[...]
> 2. All advertising materials and documentation mentioning features or use of
> this database must display the following acknowledgement:
> "This product includes GeoIP data created by MaxMind, available from
> http://maxmind.com/";

So-called Obnoxious Advertising Clause.  Meets DFSG, but
GPL-incompatible.  As long as the software under GPL is not
derived from MaxMind GeoIP data, but is merely aggregated with
it, that seems fine to me.

This was removed from the BSD.  Would this licensor remove it too?
It eventually gets unwieldy, as in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

> APNIC conditions of use:

No permission to modify.  Unsuitable for main.

> ARIN database copyright:
>
> Copyright (c) American Registry for Internet Numbers. All rights reserved.

No permission for anything.  Unsuitable for main or non-free.

> RIPE database copyright:
>
> The information in the RIPE Database is available to the public for agreed
> Internet operation purposes, but is under copyright. The copyright statement
> is:
>
> "Except for agreed Internet operational purposes, no part of this publication
> may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form
> or
> by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise, without prior
> permission of the RIPE NCC on behalf of the copyright holders.  [...]

Expressly forbids placing in debian at all.

> PS: i cc'ed marek as you maintains geoip.

I kept the CC.  Hope that's right.
--
MJR/slef