Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Also, I should add that agreeing to a license that commits SPI to
indemnify Sun in certain circumstances should not have happened without
consulting with the board of SPI and SPI's attorney.  **Regardless** of
the particular opinion on whether or not this is a legal risk, this
consultation should have happened so that SPI was aware of the situation
and could have obtained an opinion from a qualified attorney.

Do not forget that SPI, as the legal entity representing Debian and the
holder of the assets of Debian, is on the hook for this if Sun (or any
licensor) gets sued and tries to recover from Debian.

I am not well-versed enough with the history of all this to know the
answer to the question, but I would also raise the question of whether
random Debian developers (even if the group includes the DPL) have the
authority to enter into such a legal agreement without the consent of
SPI.

I don't know the answer to that, nor am I trying to advocate any
particular point of view.  But I think it is something that bears
discussion.

Even if we determine that such consultation is not *required*, it would
certainly be the more polite thing to do.

-- John