Re: DFSG-freeness of the "CID Font Code Public Licence"

Scripsit Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
> Le vendredi 02 juin 2006 à 16:44 +0200, Francesco Poli a écrit :

>> > 6. Compliance with Laws; Non-Infringement. Recipient shall comply with
>> > all applicable laws and regulations in connection with use and
>> > distribution of the Subject Software, including but not limited to,
>> > all export and import control laws and regulations of the U.S.
>> > government and other countries.

>> Does this mean that I must comply with U.S. laws and regulations even if
>> I live in Italy?

> I don't think this is what the clause says. It is just a useless "you
> shall respect the law" clause.

It says specifically that U.S. export and import control laws are
axiomatically part of the laws one has to respect. Demanding that is a
non-free condition.

>> Choice of venue, which is non-free.

> I still think choice of venue is, at best, unenforceable outside the US.

Why do you think so?

> Not everyone here find such clauses to be non-free.

Those who don't are wrong.

--
Henning Makholm                    "There is a danger that curious users may
                          occasionally unplug their fiber connector and look