Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Le Lun 22 Mai 2006 00:55, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:24:12PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le dimanche 21 mai 2006 à 16:17 -0500, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > > Good, but you shouldn't decide what others have to do. Some
> > > people are interested in java in non-free, it's not your job to
> > > try to forbid them to work on that.
> >
> > Not if it hurts the project. And it does.
>
> How?

I personally thinks it hurts our users, and as a secondary effect, us.
Beeing distributable is a property that should not be depends upon the
time, the color of your hair, or the phase of the moon.

Java license (especially clause 4) makes the distribution of a specific
version of java beeing revocable, which can hurts a lot of users that
may then depends on it. A re-licensing e.g. would not be the same,
because the last previous version that had a distributable license
would still be allowed to stay in non-free until full deprecation or
even for life.

the java license is full of retro-active clauses, that can lead into the
removal of *any* version of java that has ever been in debian. Even one
that has been distributed to millions of users. *that* would hurt.

another writing of the clause 4 that would be acceptable for debian is
the following:

 » this version of java comes with that list of requirements your
 » kernel/OS/arch/... *must* support [the list]. If you don't or can't,
 » you are not allowed to ship that version of java.

that would be acceptable for non-free, because if a version of java
qualifies for a given stable release, it will for life.

beeing distributable is not a property that is 50% true and need killing
a cat to know if it's rather 1 or rather 0.

for me, this issue *is* the real one. and I'd support any GR (or any
kind of action) that would precise what we call "distributable" implies
durability of that state. I just cannot imagine that we allow a package
even into non-free if we are not sure it can stay here forever.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit