Re: [draft] Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:59:33PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > >     (f) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
> > >     and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts
> > >     and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in
> > >     connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party
> > >     that arises or results from (i) the use or distribution of your
> > >     Operating System, or any part thereof, in any manner, or (ii)
> > >     your use or distribution of the Software in violation of the
> > >     terms of this Agreement or applicable law.
> >
> > I'm really not entirely sure what this clause is getting at, but it
> > seems that the intention is that Debian needs to indemnify Sun for any
> > litigation resulting by users of the package of Sun's JDK which Debian
> > has distributed, even if Sun is grossly negligent.[2]
>
> I'm not an expert at all on indemnification, that's to the best of my
> knowledge quite US-centric. Pass on this one.

So I assume that one of the other two who had a look at it know more
about this and will share their insights later on.

> Speaking realistically, such a move of Sun would be spectacularly bad PR
> for them esp. considering their statements about future Java licensing
> efforts they have committed to.

That's true. But why did they release this license and used no other
wording?

You essantially say, why worry about a license if it's bad PR too sue
the licensees. I doubt it really works that way. After all you could, at
some point somehow, get into a situation where Sun doesn't care about
the PR effect.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes