----- Forwarded message from Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com> -----

From: Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 10:32:11 +0200 (CEST)
To: jgoerzen@complete.org

Hello John,

I'm attaching a copy of LICENSE as I intend to commit it, and would
appreciate it if you would look it over.  If it seems OK with you would
you please forward it to the appropriate Debian people for their approval,
otherwise, let me know and I'll work on it some more.

If it is OK with Debian, I specifically authorize you (Debian) to replace
the existing LICENSE with this new copy in any versions that you currently
have.

Best regards, Kern

Trademark:
The name Bacula is a registered trademark.

===================================

License:
For the most part, Bacula is licensed under the GPL version 2
and any code that is Copyright Kern Sibbald and John Walker or
Copyright Kern Sibbald (after November 2004) with the GPL
indication is so licensed, but with the following four additions:

Linking:
Bacula may be linked with any libraries permitted under the GPL,
or with any non-GPLed libraries, including OpenSSL, that are
required for its proper functioning, providing the source code of
those non-GPLed libraries is non-proprietary and freely
available to the public.

IP rights:
Recipient understands that although each Contributor grants the
licenses to its Contributions set forth herein, no assurances are
provided by any Contributor that the Program does not infringe
the patent or other intellectual property rights of any other
entity.  Each Contributor disclaims any liability to Recipient
for claims brought by any other entity based on infringement of
intellectual property rights or otherwise.  As a condition to
exercising the rights and licenses granted hereunder, each
Recipient hereby assumes sole responsibility to secure any other
intellectual property rights needed, if any.  For example, if a
third party patent license is required to allow Recipient to
distribute the Program, it is Recipient's responsibility to
acquire that license before distributing the Program.

Copyrights:
Each Contributor represents that to its knowledge it has
sufficient copyright rights in its Contribution, if any, to grant
the copyright license set forth in this Agreement.

Code falling under the above conditions will be marked as follows:

   Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Kern Sibbald

   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
   version 2 as amended with additional clauses defined in the
   file LICENSE in the main source directory.

   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
   the file LICENSE for additional details.

Windows:
Certain source code used to build the Windows version of the Bacula
File daemon is copyrighted and or trademarked by Microsoft and may
contain Microsoft intellectual property (examples: Microsoft VC++, the
source to the VSS libraries, the Microsoft C runtime libraries).  As
such we cannot and do not distribute that software. We are permitted
however to distribute Bacula in binary form with the necessary Microsoft
libraries linked in.

You may obtain the parts that we cannot distribute as follows.  The
Microsoft compiler available for purchase, and Microsoft provides a free
version of the compiler.  The source code and libraries are available for
download from Microsoft public Web servers.  We have documented in the
src/win32 directory the URLs from which we obtained the library source, and
how we build the Windows File daemon and many users have succeeded in doing
so themselves.  Our intention is to respect as closely as possible Open
Source practices while maintaining full respect for proprietary and
copyrighted code.

=====================================

The entire GPL is reproduced in the manuals distributed with the
Bacula documentation and can also be found online on the GNU web site
as well as at www.bacula.org. You may also obtain a copy of the
GPL (or LGPL) by writing to: Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301  USA

Certain parts of the Bacula software are licensed by their
copyright holder(s) under the GPL with no modifications.  These
software files are clearly marked as such.

There are parts of Bacula that are licensed under the LGPL so
that they may be used in proprietary code to interface with
Bacula.

Finally there are parts of Bacula that are in the public domain.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming