Apache module with a GPL License: mod_proxy_html

I'm the maintainer of mod_proxy_html, an apache 2.x module. Upstream
source code is GPLv2, so I released it under GPLv2 for the debian
package. Someone pointed me that GPL is uncompatible with the apache
license, and so we cannot redistribute it as binary :(

Could anyone give me hints on what to do in such case (I think the only
way is to ask the upstream to release the source code under apache
license).

--
Emmanuel LACOUR - elacour@home-dn.net
http://manu.home-dn.net/