Re: License of wget.texi: suggest removal of invariant sections

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> If the point you're making is that someone might want to remove the
> GPL text from the manual, for example to make it shorter, I guess
> that's a valid concern.

Yes, that's the issue.

> Including the text of the GPL in Wget's manual serves the purpose of
> explaining Wget's copying terms to the user. As such, it seems
> pertinent regardless of whether Wget is actually distributed along
> with the manual.

To reiterate what you said above, our problem is that the GPL can't be
removed at all,[1] even when it's no longer applicable, not that it's
being included by wget.texi in the first place. [Whether the GPL is
pertinent or not is really up to each distributor of the package, but
it stops being necessary once the package no longer contains any GPLed
code.]

Sorry for the confusion there.

Don Armstrong

1: This is really the only practical change that making the GPL an
"Invariant Section" causes; it really should be called in this case an
"Unremovable Section".
--
A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over