Re: [chuck@horde.org: Re: [sork] About license of sork modules]

On Mon, 01 May 2006, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> I suppose another question is, what level of contribution gives
> someone enough copyright say to need to approve a license change?
> Fixing a typo? A few lines of code? A whole new driver seems like
> enough to me; what about tweaking CSS? I don't know if there are
> rules for this.

There aren't any rules for that, as it's very difficult to determine
at what point you generate a work of authorship. A general rule of
thumb is that any non-trivial contribution has a say in the way in
which the work is licensed.

This is one of the reasons why doing due dilligence in copyright
assignment or licensing when you accept patches for contributors is
such an important part in making a robust free software project.
[Unfortunatly, it's one of the parts that almost every project sucks
horribly at because it's such a thankless uninteresting task.]

Don Armstrong

--
"The trouble with you, Ibid" he said, "is that you think you're the
biggest bloody authority on everything"