Fwd: Re: [NONFREE-DOC] RFC1459, 2810-2813: IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

It seems I made some typo sending this mail, so forwarding it.

Kurt

--- Begin Message ---
The RFC's published here all were made by individuals, and were
not made by some IETF process.

rfc1459 comes from a document that was always part of the irc
source package.

For instance, in the software released on 1993-04-05:
ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/server/Old/irc2.7/irc2.7.2h.tar.Z

irc2.7.2h/doc/Comms says:

 *   IRC - Internet Relay Chat, doc/Comms
 *   Copyright (C) 1990, Jarkko Oikarinen
 *
 *   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
 *   any later version.
 *
 *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *   GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
 *   along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 *   Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
 */

                                                   Author: Jarkko Oikarinen
                                                     Date: 3 Sep 1988
                                        Last modification: 20 Feb 91

rfc1459 was released in May 1993.

Afaik, 2.8 versions don't have the doc/Comms file anymore
since it was published as an rfc, but all previous version
did.  And the document clearly had an GPL license.

Note that rfc1459 doesn't have any copyright notice or
anything like that in it, unlike 2810-2813.

rfc2810-2813 is basicly 1459 split in a few RFCs, with
some updates.  As part of the copyright statement it says:

   However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

The source to all the rfc's is also available at
ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/docs/draft*.nr, but those don't have
any copyright statements either.

Do I need to get the copyright holder of the documents to
relicense it under the GPL?  It seems clear to me that it
already is covered by the GPL, but it shouldn't be a
problem to get the copyright holder to explicitly state
that.

Is there something else I can do?  Like including those
draft*.nr files (in the next upstream release)?

Kurt

--- End Message ---