Re: [pkg-kolab] license of schema files

> Noèl Köthe wrote:
>> "document itself may not be modified in any way" is the main point.
>> The following are examples and more information. It looks like its
>> just a copy of a RFC license e.g.
>> ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
>
> The copyright statement prohibits changing the RFC document but you are
> allowed to take portions thereof "without restriction" for the purpose
> of implementing the specification contained in the document.

Note that the author of RFC 2026 (which include the old IETF copying
conditions, that RFC 2821 use) disagree with the interpretation that
the license permit this usage.  See the IPR WG mailing list archive.

I and others disagree with his interpretation, but the point is that
the situation is not that clear.

> So you cannot ship a copy of rfc2821.txt in a DFSG-compliant package
> but you can extract and alter the schema contained therein.

I'm not sure this is true.

Regards,
Simon