Re: MPL license

Walter Landry wrote:
> Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:21:31PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Whats debian-legals position about the MPL?
>>> Looking at google I see a lot of "Summary - non-free" and "Not really
>>> non-free" mails.
>> It is indeed non-free.
>
> It is, in fact, not distributable as an executable by Debian.  It
> requires keeping the source around for every binary for at least six
> months.
>
> It also has problems with choice of venue.

If MPL is cast on stone as non-distributable, I guess I must take the
necessary steps to get firebird2 out of the archive?

firebird2 uses Interbase Public License 1.0 and Initial Developer
Public License (1.0), both of which are MPL-based with "Mozilla
Foundation" replaced with "Borland" and "Initial developer"
respectively. Both IPL and IDPL have source of venue clauses and
requirement to keep source available for some fixed period of time.

I could try convincing upstream to change the license, but one of the
authors is Borland, which, after releasing Interbase under IPL later
closed it again so I guess chances that they re-license is rather
small. No pain in trying, though.

Joerg, please post here ftp-masters' ruling so I know what to do.

Thanks,
dam
--
Damyan Ivanov                              Creditreform Bulgaria
divanov@creditreform.bg              http://www.creditreform.bg/