Re: GFDL'ed documents with Front Cover text

"Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

>> > For example, GMP has Front-Cover Text
>>
>> >     A GNU Manual
>>
>> > and Back-Cover Text
>>
>> >     You have freedom to copy and modify this GNU Manual, like GNU software
>>
>> > and no invariant sections.  Must I really throw this document
>> > out of Debian (BTS 335403)?
>
> I'll bet that this is not the only documentation copyrighted by FSF
> and licensed under the GFDL with only short cover texts standing in
> the way of Debian's acceptance.  If so, I expect it will be more
> efficient if we can approach the FSF for a blanket license change.  I
> also expect that some readers of debian-legal have a contact or two
> within the FSF.  I imagine that writing directly to someone would be
> more effective than an email to licensing@fsf.org.  Perhaps someone
> who's been there could offer tips on who and how to approach this?

A useful approach in this case might be to note that these cover texts
are, in effect, endorsements, and would be better treated in the way
that the GFDL already treats Endorsements sections.  I would think
that the FSF does not wish people to stick these cover texts on just
anything (which is, funnily enough, currently required for anything
derivative of a GNU manual).

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
Kokoo kokoon koko kokko! Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko!