Re: FYI: Savannah seems to reject "GPLv2 only" projects

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:28:03 +0000 MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>
> > Quote: "We cannot accept GPLv2 only".
>
> That's dumb. Of course they *can*. They just don't want to.
> So, Savannah rejects free software now, just because some developers
> don't want to let people weld adverts into their manuals? Shame.

More precisely, because some developers don't want to allow the FSF to
relicense their work under arbitrary terms and conditions (no one
currently knows what GPLv3, or v4, v5, ..., vN, will look like!).

> [...]
> > Other similar project-hosting services?
>
> Alioth and tuxfamily, OTTOMH.

IIUC, Alioth is reserved for projects that are either started by a DD or
closely related to Debian.
I don't think markonvert (my project) qualifies (I'm certainly not a
DD).

TuxFamily is instead rather promising, as I already stated.

> I don't know if David Desrosiers still
> offers hosting.

I don't know him: could you tell me more?

> Long term, hosting it yourself under a distributed RCS and using
> something like DOAP to keep project metadata seems the best bet.  If
> others would like to help document the tools and methods, please let
> me know and we can make it a proof-of-concept project, hack support
> into existing hosts and that sort of thing. I had a bit of an attempt
> with coopX some years ago, but it was too early and didn't take off.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
When you say "distributed RCS", are thinking about distributed
versioning systems such as Bazaar[1] or GNU Arch?
Doesn't they need at least one networked machine to make patchsets (or
the like) available to the public?

Could you elaborate a bit more?

[1] http://www.canonical.com/projects/bazaar

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4