Re: cdrtools - GPL code with CDDL build system

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:05:53 +0000 Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
>> Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>> > Hello debian-legal experts ;-),
>> >
>> > I need a bit support to clarify the issue with cdrtools' build
>> > system.

>> > copyright headers in the files of his build system inside of the
>> > cdrtools package with references to a CDDL license context.
>>
>> D-L v. JS, now that's a flame war I'd like to see ;-)
>>
>> Flaming aside, this is a non-issue.  The source for cdrecord contains
>> invariant sections (those obnoxious "warnings" about using device
>> names), so it's certainly not DFSG-free.
>
> Aaargh!  :-(
> I was hoping this problem had been fixed...

[...]

> How can such a package still be in main with this non-freeness?
> I'm surprised that nobody filed a serious bug for this...

I guess everyone has just gotten used to Schilling's inane ramblings,
and ignores him without further thought.

>> Just use dvdrtools instead.
>
> ITYM dvd+rw-tools,

That's what I use for burning DVDs.  It doesn't handle CDs though.

> since dvdrtools is in non-free too...

Someone's launched an investigation into the reason for this.  Let's
wait and see what comes back.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com