Re: Problematic distribution of P2P clients in France

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 03:22:56PM +0000, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Simon Vallet <debian-ppc_user@castalie.org>
> > 1=B0 To willingly edit, distribute to the public, or inform the public
> > about, in any form, a device[2] whose obvious purpose is to permit
> > unauthorized distribution of protected works
>
> Can someone tell me what 'obvious purpose' means here? Need it be intended
> for that (like a cracker tool), just able to do it (like most p2p), or
> something else?

The text is probably fuzzy on purpose. Until it is ruled by a court, it
will remain fuzzy.

> Can people still influence this strange law?

It is not yet a law, and still has to go through the second chamber (the
senate) before a final conciliation. All we can do is to try to persuade
the members of the second chamber of all the harm this law would do. I
hope those members of the first chamber that raised their voice against
this law will do that.

Mike