Re: GPL v3 possible issues.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:15:40PM +0000, John Watson wrote:
> On controlling music, I personally see no issues with this. With out DRM,
>  music or other  media type content could not be legally made available over
> the Internet.

This is false.  Without DRM, certain greedy and immoral content providers
will be *unwilling* to provide music over the Internet; but I am aware of
no copyright laws in any jurisdiction that *mandate* the use of DRM.

> I took part in the BBC Imp trial which uses DRM to restrict copying and to
> prevent contents to be made available in other parts of the world. Very much
> enjoyed the experience, able to download any type of content that was
> broadcast on TV over the past two weeks, however I would have been great
> this service was also made available on the Linux platform however with this
> new GPL V 3 may make this impossible. It may also prevent the BBC using or
> contributing to  open source project at all. Even on a 3g phone  from three(
> three.co.uk) DRM is being used to restrict media content from copying.

There are many on this mailing list who have their own concerns about GPLv3,
including the DRM clause, but I'm pretty sure that "there are people who
won't like it if you promote freedom" wasn't one of them.