Re: RFH: Non-free files in Emacs

Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Far away from flamewars and heated discussions, the Emacs maintainers
> (Rob Browning and I) are in a process of moving non-free files to
> a dedicated package.

Thank you very much for working on this.

> In order to avoid repackaging as much as possible once done, we would
> like to make sure that any problematic file has been identified
> (they are all located in /usr/share/emacs/21.4/etc), so a second
> review would be welcome.
>
> The following files have already been identified as offending:
> etc/{CENSORSHIP,copying.paper,INTERVIEW,LINUX-GNU,THE-GNU-PROJECT,WHY-FREE}
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Just to confirm the parameters of this review, are you assuming that any
file not explicitly licensed falls under the GPL of Emacs?  Or should we
flag files which have no explicit license?  Quite a number of the files
in etc/ have no explicit license.

Also, etc/MOTIVATION contains:
> [reprinted with permission of the author
>  from the Monday 19 January 1987 Boston Globe]
with no license notice given, and authorization to reprint does not
necessarily include authorization to modify.

- Josh Triplett