Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

Kalle Kivimaa writes:

> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:
> > Prevent me, as the file owner?  They don't.  However, they do obstruct
> > or control the further reading and copying of the work.
>
> Is it allowed to keep a hard copy of a GFDL document in a locked house?
> That too prevents further reading and copying of the work. If it is
> allowed, what makes this different from keeping a copy on a computer
> with a permission setup such that only the owner of that copy can read
> it?

I do not think physical access control would generally be considered a
technical measure, but if someone convincingly argued that position, I
would consider it.  On the other hand, file permission bits are very
clearly a technical measure -- and they are tailored specifically to
limiting certain operations on files, including reading them.

Michael Poole