Re: Interpreting the GFDL GR

On 3/16/06, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> This is all very well for the DFSG, but I just noticed that the DRM
> restriction, read literally, prohibits placing copies on ftpmaster (since
> access to those copies for most people is blocked by technical measures).

I believe that the reasoning you're using here would also support
the claim that you can't carry a GFDL'd document on a plane which
crosses the atlantic ocean, because that would block copying through
technical measures.

However, I also think that this reasoning is bogus.

It seems clear that the GFDL means "copying" in the sense of copyright
law:

The relevant issue is whether someone who possesses a copy is
allowed to make further copies.  Technical measures are measures
which would prevent this.

Technical measures have nothing to do with the case where a
person does not possess a copy of the work.   (Which I've
tried to illustrate by bringing the atlantic ocean into the
discussion.)

--
Raul