Question about upstream duty as regards with OpenSSL

Hi,

I am wondering what an upstream author was supposed to do  in  order  to
publish a sotfware under GPL when it is using OpenSSL? (Note that I am
involved in the software developement so I can obviously propose to rewrite
some parts of the licence)

I read http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html Do you
think it is still an acceptable solution?

As an answer to that message Branden[1] mentionned that: ``The debian-legal
mailing list is  always  available  as  a  resource  to  Debian  package
maintainers and upstream authors and copyright holders to  explore  what
those alternatives might be.''

That the reason why I am asking some advice here. Thanks in advance for
your answer.

Cheers,
P.S. Please Cc: me on relpy I am not subscribed to debian-legal
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00754.html
--
                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard@debian.org>                                 http://debian.org