Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> it's evidence that the issues have been thought through enough for us
> to make a clear decision.

Putting aside this statement which reinforces my belief, it turns out
that even if everyone had put FD as their second choice, Amendment A
still would have passed.  It would not have been even close to a
supermajority, but it would have beat everything else.

So I guess my argument now is that voter fatigue created a larger
margin than there is in reality.  So if the secretary had not been
browbeaten into allowing an ordinary majority for Amendment A, and the
voting system did not reward voter fatigue, then we would have a
different outcome.

Like the US electoral college, this is just an example where the rules
of how things are decided actually matter.  Also like the US electoral
college, there are those who argue that it is not a flaw.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu