Re: Interpretation of the GR

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:17:25AM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:

>> But the issue of whether or not they're distributable at all is
>> absolutely orthogonal to the GR.  They have no bearing on each other
>> whatsoever.
>
> A work can't possibly ever be "free" if it's not even distributable.
> This is plain from DFSG#1.  If the GR is labelling undistributable
> works "free", then it is in no way orthogonal to distributability.

True.  But when determining DFSG freedom debian developers (often in the
guise of d-l) can decide on an interpretation -- the courts don't really
care about that.  When deciding on whether its legal to distribute at
all what we or the GR say is beside the point because it's not up to us;
it's up to the courts.  We can have a GR claiming that the moon is made
of green cheese, and that doesn't change anything unless it has a
bearing on whether we decide a license belongs in main/contrib or in
non-free.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>