Re: All rights reserved?

Scripsit "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:57:36PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:

>> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/10/msg00198.html
>> for previous discussion (from Googling for '"all rights reserved"
>> debian-legal').  It's not a problem.

> And what if a script has that clause and not a license at all?

Then it is not distributable.

It is not distributable either if it has no copyright notice and no
license.

> Wouldn't be considered public domain, I think...

Correct. Public domain is only for code that has been _explicitly_
released as public domain, or whose copyright has lapsed, or which was
never subject to copyright in the first place.

> This is a real case for a tiny script (published on a web site)
> whose author is not reachable.

If it is so tiny that there is no creative expression inherent in it
(a few commands that essentially cannot be written in any other way),
then it is not subject to copyright, no matter what the author claims
or does not claim.

--
Henning Makholm                                 "I can get fat! I can sing!"