Re: Interpretation of the GR

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:

> But GRs don't get to say what licenses mean.  Are you saying that the
> GR is saying: "even though the license says we can't do this, we're
> going to pretend otherwise, deliberately violate the license and hope
> for the best"?

We don't get to say what licenses mean either -- the courts do, and to a
lesser degree lawyers do as well.  If anyone takes our interpretation or
that of the GR as legal advice they deserve whatever they get.  So if
there's question as to whether GFDL stuff is legally distributable that
question should be answered by a lawyer, not a GR.

The GR says "For the sake of the DFSG, we're going to behave as if our
generous interpretation of the GFDL is the correct one."

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>