Re: Interpreting the GFDL GR

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:36:34AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> For what it's worth, I voted for Amendment B over the original text
> because I am convinced that no court (at least in my legislation, I have
> not much knowledge of others) would rule that someone has violated the
> license because of chmod or similar - simply because it is the normal
> state in the computer world, even on Windows systems, that stuff is
> not-world readable.  Or in other words because this restriction would
> make the whole license void, and that can't be what the licensor
> intended.

Huh?  File permissions are just one example.  The clause also prohibits
distributing the work on a passworded FTP, and via HTTPS. These technical
measures are generally used specifically and deliberately to control the
reading of the copies I make, so unintended people can't get the file by
logging into my FTP or sniffing network traffic.  They're designed largely
for that very purpose.  This is prohibited from a straightforward reading
of the license.

--
Glenn Maynard