Re: Free documents using non-free fonts - can they be in main?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
olive.lin@versateladsl.be wrote:

I can't see anything in the DFSG which would forbid it, so it looks
free to me. With the note that the source files may need to be modified
to allow being processed with the free fonts present in Debian, but this
would not be a freeness issue.

I think that the interpretation is that the DFSG applies to the fonts also.

It applies to the font, but not to the rendered document. The characters
in the document are not subject to copyright.

Yes but the problem is that the source for the fonts are not available. So we do not have the complete source code of the document. The situation is somewhat similar of a public domain binary only software with source not available. Such softwares will not be regarded as free.

Olive